Monday 6 June 2011

Angry Gallas quits France after snub


Tottenham defender William Gallas claims he has ''drawn a line'' under his international career having not featured in any of national coach Laurent Blanc's squads to date.
William Gallas France training
William Gallas: Drawn a line under his international career
Gallas, 33, was not included in the party for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Belarus and the friendlies against Ukraine and Poland this week, and in an interview with sports daily L'Equipe he appeared to indicate he would not want to be picked again.
He said: ''When I saw that I had returned to my top level [with Tottenham] I thought [Blanc] would recall me. It was said that the best would be selected and I think this season I was one of the best French players in my position.
''Well if it's like that... I have drawn a line under my international career.''
Gallas last featured for France in their disastrous campaign at the World Cup in South Africa last summer, which was overshadowed by a player strike after forward Nicolas Anelka was sent home following a row with then coach Raymond Domenech.
The former Arsenal man fears that is how he will be remembered as a France international, despite also featuring in the side which reached the 2006 World Cup final.
''We made decisions that were wrong, but at the time we were in a bubble, we were oblivious. This image haunts me and I know it will pursue me,'' he added. ''I've had 16 years at the top level and one decision, one mistake has screwed up everything.''

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...