Friday 11 February 2011

Barcelona Midfielder Xavi: Players Like Me Are Disappearing From Modern Football

Barcelona maestro Xavi believes players of his ilk are in short supply in modern football.



By Paul Macdonald

Feb 11, 2011 11:09:00 AM


Barcelona midfielder Xavi has stated his belief that players with his style of play are disappearing from the modern game.

In an interview with English publication 
The Guardian, the Ballon d’Or finalist discussed both his and the Blaugrana’s approach to football, and how he feels that individuals of his technique are now a rare commodity.

He stated: “Players like me are disappearing. From a selfish point of view, six years ago footballers who play my position began to fade, but now I see Arsenal and Villarreal, and I see that they play like us.

“Our football is to attack. We like to combine, attack and play, and it is very important that the style of Barcelona is a model. Football is played to win, but in Barcelona our satisfaction is double because we want to play well. What I do is watch the space and then make the pass.”

Xavi also had words of praise for Manchester United’s Paul Scholes, saying of the former England international: “To me Paul is a role model. He is the best midfielder I’ve seen in the last 15 or 20 years.”

Finally, he assessed next week’s Champions League encounter with Arsenal, and the 31-year-old stressed that he sees improvements in the team that the Blaugrana convincingly knocked out at the quarter-final stage last season.

He added: “The Gunners are a great team, when I see them I see the style of Barca. This season they are much better than last year, and I have much respect for them.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...